Finding the right premises
On the site where The Cottage Loaf sits today used to be a bakehouse and warehouse belonging to ‘Dunphy & Sons’ which owned several grocery shops, bakeries and wine & spirit merchants in Llandudno, Craig-y-Don, Deganwy, Conwy & Penmaenmawr.
The company was originally formed by a Mrs Dunphy who was succeeded by her son Stephen Dunphy in 1857 whom successfully grew the business. He married a Catherine nee Phillys of Penrhyn Old Hall, with whom they had four sons. Bernard who joined the Navy but lost his life in the First World War, Jack who became a vet and Richard and Arthur who joined their father Stephen in the grocery business. As times and the area changed so did the challenge of running Dunphy & Sons and sadly decided to close in 1972. The three storey building lay empty for many years but was purchased by ourselves and was partially demolished in May 1980 to allow for the conversion to a pub.